Grilled Onion and Sour Cream Dip
Pass up that store-bought packet of onion dip mix. This classic party dip deserves an update. Our modern version begins by charring the onions on the grill and then chopping them to a chunky finish. The resulting coarse texture and naturally bold flavors will wean you off that packet for good.
Prep: 15 min
Grill: 25–35 min
Special equipment: large perforated grill pan
3 medium yellow onions, about 11/2 pounds total
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup sour cream
4 ounces (1/2 cup) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, minced or pushed through a press
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco®
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, divided
Sturdy potato chips or pita chips
1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F). Brush the cooking grates clean. Cut the onions in half lengthwise, then slice into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons.
2. In a large bowl combine the onions, oil, thyme, and salt and toss to coat the onions evenly.
3. Spread the onion mixture in an even layer on a large perforated grill pan.
4. Set the grill pan over direct medium heat and cook the onions, with the lid closed, until soft and golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes.
5. Remove the grill pan from the grill and let the onions cool to room temperature. Discard any onion bits that have turned black (to avoid any unwanted bitter flavors).
6. In a food processor combine all of the dip ingredients except the chives. Process until blended. Add the onions and pulse to a dip consistency with some onion pieces remaining. Add all but 1/2 teaspoon chives and pulse once. Transfer to a bowl, sprinkle with the reserved chives, and serve with the chips.
From “Weber’s Ultimate Grilling” by Jamie Purviance
©2019 Weber-Stephen Products Co. LLC. All rights reserved.